Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm lookin' at the man in the mirror...




I took a picture like this of Olivia when she was just about this same age. I love a baby's curiosity and fascination with mirrors. It's so fun to see them trying to figure it all out--who is this cute little baby looking at me? Well yesterday and today have been fairly uneventful. Benjamin did get some shots yesterday morning as part of a well-child visit, so he's been a bit fussier than normal. Olivia started in with a cough on Wednesday, and yesterday I could tell she was really not feeling very well. She was also a little "fussy". I took a snapshot of her to show you what kind of attitude I've been dealing with the last 24 hours or so. I do have to acknowledge that we did allow her to indulge in sugary items on the 31st, so I'm sure that some of this sweet spirit has been affected by that. The other "big news" of the last couple of days has been that Benjamin ate his first vegetable last night--sweet pototoes! He seemed to love them. I've included a pic of him chowin' down on the good parts.
So here's what's been on my mind lately. I was drinking water out of a plastic tumbler a couple of days ago at lunch, and when I picked it up from the placemat, there seemed to be more water than usual left behind--you know how water kind of sweats off of plastic cups? Well, there were two big water droplets beneath the cup when I lifted it. A little tinge of sadness came over me when I realized there was a tiny crack in the bottom of this cup, because this is the last of a set of four tumblers that came with a matching acrylic pitcher--all of the other pieces have cracked. They're clear with brightly colored flowers painted all around the sides. I was given this cute set as a wedding gift, and I think there is something within me that hates to see the last tumbler fall prey to the intensive heat of the dishwasher (yes, I know acrylic items shouldn't really be put in there, but come on--we all get a little lazy). I'm not about to shed tears over this, but something within me just hates to see it go. You know what I did? I washed it and put it away again! Why? I don't know! May of '08 will be our 10 year wedding anniversary, so I suppose I should be impressed that this little tumbler lasted this long. The others have all been casualties of the dishwasher in the last year or so as well--except for the pitcher--its handle cracked off. Maybe now that I've written about it I'll feel free to toss it. You know our life together now as a couple is so wonderful and rich, but that cup reminds me of "the early days"---Notice I don't call them the "good old days", and that's not because they weren't good; they were great, but the early days do have some special memories. So it's time to buy four new tumblers and a matching pitcher for the next decade, right?

No comments: