Friday, November 30, 2007

OB Memories

OK, I know you're wondering where I'm going with this one, but just hang on. I was looking at a department store sales flyer recently when I saw a pair of boots similar to an old pair I once had. I loved those boots. I actually got them in Scotland when I went on that fun trip to Great Britain with my grandparents my senior year in highschool. They were kind of ankle high, black boots, and they fit splendidly. I was sad when I had to put them out to pasture. But anyway, I saw some in this flyer that looked like them, and for some reason I immediately thought about a funny trip to the OBGYN I had years ago. I was home for Christmas break during my freshman year, and my folks had just moved to a new town the summer before my freshman year of college, so when Mom scheduled my annual OB visit, she just made an appointment for me at the office where she had begun going since the move. I honestly can't remember his name; I think I've repressed it, but we'll call him Dr. Smith. After being admitted to the examination room, a nurse walked me over to the table, handed me a gown, and said in her southern drawl, "Dr. Smith prefers that you keep your shoes on, so just remove everything but your shoes." At the time I wasn't the frequent flyer that I am today at an OB, and I remember thinking that was odd, but I was a dutiful patient, and didn't object. Had that been today, I would've probably laughed and said, "Unless we're going for a walk in this open-backed gown, I'm not sure why the shoes are necessary." Again, I was just a bit naive, so I followed directions after the nurse left the room, and began undressing. As I started to take my pants off, I pushed the heel of one shoe with the other foot's toe, trying to get it off, and suddenly I froze. As if I wouldn't look like a big enough idiot in a gown and a pair of sandals, flats, tennis shoes....etc...I was wearing, yep, you guessed it, my big black boots. Several minutes later I was sitting on the table with the open-backed gown with my bare legs dangling heavily as I stared down with disbelief at those big, black boots. Dr. Smith eventually entered, a tall, very slender, old man with balding white hair and large glasses. He was completely unphased by my awkward examination attire, and when he had me lay back and I had to clunk those crazy boots up into the stirrups, he proceeded to tell me about a recent fishing excursion he had enjoyed. I think to him, the examination felt like it took 2 minutes, but to me it felt like 2 hours. Could I have felt any more ridiculous and awkward? At the end of the exam, he asked me if I had any questions. I imagine you know what I was wanting to ask, and I indulged my desire and quickly said, "Why did you have me keep my boots on?" He looked a little confused, and said with an old southern accent, "Oh, did she tell you to keep those on? I was wondering about that. I just tell the nurses to tell folks to keep their shoes on if their feet get cold." And he failed to attempt to stifle a little laugh, patted me on the shoulder, and said, "See you next time." With a red face, I exited Dr. Smith's office thinking to myself, "Two can play at this game! Next time I'll wear my knee-high, stelleto, red leather boots!" OK, so I didn't really own any of those, but too bad, 'cause it would've probably made him feel a little squeemish, huh? :)
So now it's your turn. What is the funniest, most awkward, bizarre experience you've had at an OB's office?

1 comment:

Carrie Beth said...

Adrienne...girl, you know I remember "Dr. Smith" too! I think my most awkward moments recently were not due to the dr- Dr. Cobbs is so wonderful about making you feel at ease- but they had to do with trying to nurse a crying baby while having my yearly examination. Dr. Cobbs just said, "I know how it feels- we moms have to multi-task all the time!"