Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What a Halloween Day!






Yes, America, I'm calling it what it is. It's Halloween, and I ain't just gonna say that we went to a fall party or a pumpkin party or a fall festival today. I just finished reading a fabulous article that my sister, Abby, sent to me about Halloween, and I'd invite you to copy and paste this addresss in your address bar, and go read this! http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/october2/29.79.html It is so well written. I mean, come on. Don't we all have some really fun memories of Halloween and trick-or-treating from our growing up years? Must we act as if we're not being good Christian parents if we allow our kids to participate in this societal tradition? I luuuuuuved dressing up at Halloween, and you know, I think that if life weren't so crazy hectic right now that I might would've enjoyed trying to figure out some semblance of a costume to wear to our church's Trunk-or Treat event tonight. Who might I have gone as? Hmmmm... I think it would've been fun, if my two sisters lived close by, to have gone as the three sisters in Sense and Sensibility. Hey-those a-line dresses hide a multitude of sins, ladies. Thank you Jane for S&S! You know what would really be fun, dressing as Mary Kay Ash herself--get a big ol' blonde wig and really do the makeup seriously, wear the biggest earrings, necklace and rings I could find, and wear a powder pink professional suit with a bee on my shoulder! :) Or maybe I should just tie some items to my clothing like some pieces of laundry, baby dolls, toys, crumpled magazine, a sippy cup, a few chew toys, a hairball or two--I would be a piece of still art representing my family room floor. Oh ladies, can I get a witness?? But seriously, dressing up is always fun! That's why I long for sometimes really yearn for an opportunity to get dolled up--cause for one night for a few hours I get a little respite from the everyday roles I play. Don't get me down wrong (thank you Marvin), I love my everyday roles, but don't we all love a little escape sometimes?
So here are some photos of our day. It was hectic and wonderful, and now begins the struggle of "Mom, can I have another piece of candy, please???" So maybe you'd like to share what you'd dress up as, and maybe you have some tips about the candy surplus!
PS-Oliva wanted to be a queen today, and she kind of created her costume herself, and I thought she looked lovely! She requested face paint, so I made a purple mask-like thing around her eyes. Tonight at the trunk-or-treat, she went as an "Indian Queen", because she switched and wore the dress that our friends from India gave her! Benjamin was going to be a puppy dog, but that costume was making me sweat just looking at it, so we opted for the cooler option of cowboy.

No comments: