Saturday, November 24, 2007

My Mom is Amazing

Maybe you remember learning about "half-birthday-celebrations" when you were a kid. You know what I'm talking about? Six-and-a-half birthday celebrations...etc. I remember discovering that this was a time-honored tradition in the family of a certain elementary school friend of mine and thinking, "Are you serious?? I'm totally missing out!" All of a sudden the Wrigley's commercial jingle was flowing with inspired passion from my lips---"Double the pleasure, double the fun....with double the birthday fun!" I really thought this kid had pulled one over on her folks until I found out that this was a gift-less, half-birthday celebration. I still remember feeling a little envious, though, because at the age of 6,7,8...(OK, almost any age) you never mind a little extra celebration of your life.
We just returned from a five day visit to Mom and Dad's home for Thanksgiving week. The concept of the half-birthday came to mind as I sat down to write, because I was thinking that I wish we had a "Half-Mother's Day-Celebration" right about now. I'm guessing that many of you also have the same feeling, having shared a special time with your family during this recent holiday and having seen your mother lovingly labor for your family. It's almost funny how perfectly timed it is--November is right at 6 months away from May, and certainly if Moms deserve a little extra appreciation and admiration, right after Thanksgiving is a worthy time. So I invite you to pause and pick up the phone or drop a card in the mail or an e-mail to your Mom to let her know just how grateful you are to her for all the times she went the extra mile to make times of celebration such as Thanksgiving so very, very special. I hope she wouldn't mind me saying so, but I imagine that my friend, Tracy, would urge us all to not ever miss an opportunity to hug our mom.
So Mom, I've written a lyrical poem for you in honor of your "Half-Mother's Day-Celebration". (Please sing this to the tune of the Jackson 5's song entitled ABC) And if the song gets a little ridiculous, just go with me, people. I don't work for Motown records, OK?

Adrienne:
A-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh
A-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh

Verse1
Adrienne:
You could never go to school, Mom
To learn all the things you do
Makin' perfect chai tea, caffeine free
Keep your house warm and welcome, not a zoo
Now, now, now, you're always teachin' me (teachin' me, teachin' me)
All about love (all about love)
Saying, "Sit yourself down, take a seat,
Be a servant to your family, you'll find it a treat."

Chorus
Adrienne 1st time through/ Brenda & Adrienne 2 time through
ABC
You make it easy as 123
As simple as
Do-re-mi
ABC
123
Mom, you blow my mind, girl!

Verse2
Brenda:
Loving, forgiving & laughing
are the strengths of a strong family
but without the roots of our savior Jesus
our family just aint complete
T-T-T-Teachers can't show you
Adrienne:
Show-you, show-you
Brenda:
How to be a mom
Adrienne:
How to be a mom
Brenda:
Spell "me" & "Jesus"
Listen to me baby, that's all you gotta do

Chorus (repeated from above, together)

Bridge
Adrienne:
Sit down, Momma!
I wanna tell you I love you!
No, get up Momma!
Show me what you can do!
Shake it, shake it, Momma, come on now!
Shake it, shake it, Momma, oooo, oooo!
Shake it, shake it, Momma, huh!
ABC it Momma! nah-nah
Do-re-me-it Momma! ooo-ooo!
You make it look so easy, Momma!
That's how easy love can be!
Lovin' you is so easy!

Mom, I know you love serving our family. Thank you for that wonderful example set before all of us. I pray that I can be that same loving servant to my family. Thanks for loving me for who I am--even as the silly daughter who sends a word of love and admiration set to the tune of a Jackson 5 greatest hit. You may not hold the official title of theater director or drama teacher any more, but you pull off such amazing productions when we get together. I always love being one of your cast! Watching you encourages me to become my own "director" in my family. Thanks for a great Thanksgiving. I love you!

4 comments:

Jarrod, Tracy, Kyle, Spencer & Abby said...

Bless you, thats all i can say.

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Am I that fargone? :)

KL said...

I can just hear you and your momma jamming to this..girl your songwriting skills make a mother proud!!!
you are a great daughter

Carrie Beth said...

Just wonderful, Adrienne! I agree with it all- we are truly blessed to have a mom who has taught us to be servants and who knows how to "shake it!"