Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pediatric Waiting Room

Yesterday I waited for an hour and a half in our pediatric doctor's waiting room only to be shuffled to the examining room for another 15 minute wait before being seen. It's hard not to begin making interesting observations when you're in a small room with a group of people for that long. What I have found that most pediatric waiting rooms have what are called stock characters. Here are a few of some of the reocurring ones I seem to see time and again. Feel free to add some of your own.
1. Naive Naomi. Naive Naomi just had a baby 2 weeks ago. She looks a little tired, but she is easily identified because of the pristine shape of all of her baby gear--the diaper bag looks as if she just pulled the tags off of it this morning before she came, the child is dressed as if she's taking him to a magazine shoot--hat, shoes, the whole nine yards. She tends to want to ask everyone in the room how old their child is, how much they weighed when they were in born, and somehow, without a bit of inhibition she tells her entire labor and delivery story to the whole room before we escape to an examination room. When asked how her baby is doing, Naive Naomi says, "He's sleeping pretty good right now. I think he'll be sleeping through the night very soon." When Naive Naomi hears a baby screaming from the examining room areas, she looks disturbed and says, "Oh my. Someone's upset." One of the moms with three of her four children there with her says, "Probably got a vaccination shot." Naive Naomi loses the color in her face and clutches the child to her chest.
2. Burn-out Betty. Burn-out Betty hasn't had a warm meal in over a decade (as my brother-in-law Brad always jokes). She sits in a corner chair rocking her infant (number 4) in the carseat on the floor with her right foot while attempting to steal a moment for herself in the waiting room. She has somehow managed to completely zone out the chaos around her as she voraciously reads a two year old Reader's Digest. She wipes noses of her two and four year old toddlers without looking up from the pages of the magazine. Her toddlers have found the waiting room to be a place of great freedom. They climb up on top of chairs and tables and innocently make the rounds of all the infant carrier seats in the room, poking their little germie fingers into the face of the other-wise healthy infants. Burn-out Betty might occassionally yell their names out, but she's obviously decided she's worn out with chasing them around. Too bad Burn-out Betty's oldest child is in school today, because we begin to get the feeling that Burn-out Betty depends upon her help in these kinds of situations regularly. Burn-out Betty will always be a story-topper. You know the type? So when Naive Naomi tells her labor and delivery story, she was really in for it when Burn-out Betty started in with, "You think that was a tough labor and delivery?....." We all begin to understand and pitty Burn-out Betty by the end of her her M.A.S.H.-like delivery story.
3.Perplexed Papa. Perplexed Papa has that deer-in-the-headlights kind of look. This is his first visit to the pediatric doctor's office alone with this 8 month old son, but he had to bring him in by himself, because his dear wife is sick in bed at home. He brought the diaper bag, but because he feels so strange holding a purse-like object, he carries it around like it is a bag of trash containing something unpleasantly odiferous, and after he signs in, he gets called back to the sliding glass window 5 times because he didn't fill out some paperwork properly. When asked what his co-pay is, Perplexed Papa looks particularly perplexed, and says, "My wife didn't tell me about a co-pay." He holds his sick 8 month old on his hip all the while unaware that the child's nose is running like a faucet. He wiggles in his seat uncomfortably through the labor and delivery stories, and when he finally gets called back to see the doctor, he dashes for the open door like a prisoner being set free.
4.Christian Krishanni. I love Christian Krishanni. She has a contagious smile, and she's wearing a shirt that looks like it has the Arm and Hammer logo on it, but instead of saying "Arm and Hammer" it says "Armed and Ready" and the arm pictured in the center of the logo is clutching a Bible. Underneath the logo there is a scripture and on the back of her shirt it says, "Come worship with me at New Hope Revival Holy Ghost Ebenezer Church!" Christian Krishanni is very warm and patient with all of the children in the waiting room...for the first 45 minutes of so. She's there with her pre-teen daughter who languishes on her lap asking periodically, "When is it going to be our turn, Mom?" Christian Krishanni responds graciously to her daughter for the first leg of the wait by saying things like, "I guess the doctor must've had an emergency and got behind this morning...Maybe they're just especially busy this morning...I'm sure they'll see us soon..." But even Christian Krishanni begins to lose her patience after she's waited patiently for close to an hour in that chaotic waiting room. I begin to envision the bulging bicep from Christian Krishanni's Arm and Hammer-like t-shirt logo K.O.ing the receptionist and then Christian Krishanni is surrounded by Kirk Franklin's back-up singers and they're all singing and dancing to his song "Stomp". We hear Christian Krishanni's voice trailing down the hallway singing the lyrics, "Lately, I been goin' through somethin' that's really got me down....." We all wish we were leaving with her.
5.Doormat Donna. Doormat Donna is a working mom who really doesn't regularly spend much time with her child, but her kindergartener is sick today, and so she's spending her morning in the pediatric office. She looks a little out of place in her power-suit and high, pointy heels, and regularly you wouldn't ever think she would be Doormat Donna--not in the professional world anyway, but when it comes to her little 5 year old sweetie-pie, Doormat Donna truly earns her name. Doormat Donna, bless her heart, is still trying to run her office from the pediatric waiting room with the help of her blackberry. Meanwhile 5 year old sweetie-pie is whining and fussing, and everyone in the room knows just how hungry 5 year old sweetie-pie is within a matter of minutes. "I'm hungry, Momma!! I'm realllllly hungry! Why didn't you feed me breakfast? I'm starving! When are we leaving? Moooooommmmmmmmmaaaaaa!!!!" Doormat Donna, meanwhile, leaves several people confused for a few moments because it seems as if she might be trying to engage us in conversation, and just as I begin to stupidly respond to her, she turns her head a little to show me her blue-tooth contraption stuck in her ear. I turn a little red and feel foolish. The drama continues, and Donna begins digging in her enormous purse for something to distract little sweetie-pie. Out tumbles a box of Dexatrim, a case of Altoids, her Gucci sunglasses and finally at the bottom, what she thinks is going to be her saving grace....tadahhh...the Nintendo gameboy thing! She gets a huge look of relief, tosses it in the lap of sweetie pie, and continues like a steamroller sealing the deal with this client on the phone. Doormat Donna hasn't been listening to 5 year-old sweetie pie, though, and she doesn't know she's not interested in the Nintendo! She is hungry! Finally the child takes the mother's chin in her hands and says, "I want something to eat, NOW!" She tosses the gameboy back into the large, hobo style, gold lame bag, scoops 5 year-old sweetie pie onto her hip, continuing the conversation, heads to the hallway, and returns moments later with sweetie pie nursing a large Mountain Dew and a jumbo bag of M&M's purchased from a vending machine down the hall. Just what the room needed. A dose of extreme caffeine and sugar!

Well, there are more I could describe, but I'd better end here. I'd love for you to add some of your favorite waiting room stock characters.

16 comments:

BuckeyeNP said...

Loved it! so true!!

Kristin Pattison said...

This was so great..here's one: Stylish Samantha: Did this woman ever have a baby..she easily squeezes into her tight jeans, halter hop. She wears high heels and has perfectly painted toes, nails, face and done up hair..worse yet her child is spotless and in perfect pnytails with mathcing bows..I feel soo frumpy

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Erin!! Hey gal! So fun to have you chiming in here! I visited your blog briefly and enjoyed it, too! I'll look forward to returning!

Kristin, yes, I Stylish Samantha's are hard to handle, aren't they?? Gag me with a mani/pedi (this is a term that a MK consultant used for a long time without me understanding what in the world she was talking about--finally I realized that when she said she had her mani/pedi that afternoon, that she meant, she'd had her manicure and pedicure. Duh! I'm a bit slow on the luxury lingo.) :) I feel frumpy today, too. Bless ya gal! I can't imagine you ever being frumpy. You're always so hip and cute!

Carrie Beth said...

LOVED it, girl! You could not be more spot on...how about Homeschool Hannah who is trying to get in a math lesson while waiting in spite of the fact that the doctor's office is playing The Incredibles on a loop! You know, it seems like if they feel like they have to show a movie that it could be something that does not have a big scary spider robot in it since most of the kids waiting there are under the age of 6! :)

Carrie Beth said...

Sorry, girl, had to add one more- how about Obsessive Compulsive Carrie who is wiping her kids' hands with an antiseptic wipe every 2 seconds and hissing at them not to touch anything because she just saw the special on 20/20 about the new superbug and also heard from the receptionist that they a child had recently vomited somewhere in the waiting room...of course, this does not sound like anyone I know, but just thought I would add...:)

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Homeschool Hannah! I love it, Ceebs! I have to say I relate to Compulsive Carrie myself. It's hard not to be a little that way in our day and time of information saturation. We're so bombarded with things we "should be worrying about". I loved your additions! Thanks for playing along! I know you've served many an hour in a ped. waiting room--and many other waiting rooms for that matter! :)
love ya girl!

Kristin Pattison said...

Oh Cbstriss,
I love your comments they are so great!!!!

Carrie Beth said...

Such fun to be able to communicate with both the Astriss and the Kstriss at once! I love it! I always love what y'all write :).

Adrienne Rogowski said...

This is a shout out to my dear friend, Ansley!! Love you, Ansley! Ansley is a faithful reader of my blog, but she doesn't respond, but she e-mailed me with her wonderful additions and gave me permission to post them here for y'all to enjoy, too! And btw, Ansley, my whole family knows the phrase "chillin' like a villain" because of you, girl! :) I know that brings you great pride and joy! :) So here are her additions:
Nervous Nana She comes in with Naive Naomi. She sits quietly with her daughter and newborn grandchild and scans the room for Burn Out Betty's kids. If they dare come near her precious grandchild, who is still sound asleep in the car seat, she leans forward with a cautious eye, silently telling these children with her glare to "stay away from our baby"! Or perhaps she just places her foot in the direct path of the car seat, making no way for the germy hands to even come near the Tommy Hilfiger decked out kid.



No Cares Nana She comes in with Burn Out Betty's kids and has the same attitude as Betty. She lets the kids roam at will and screams at them when, whatever mischievous thing they are up to could have been prevented if she were keeping her eye on them. This woman also occasionally shows up with her grandchildren in only a diaper and t-shirt, no shoes, runny nose and totally filthy. I hate to sterotype here Adrienne, but these folks are the ones that make ME cringe and hold my children tight. Does that make me a judgemental person? Probably. I don't know that I care though when it comes to my children. Feel free to add this to your blog or just enjoy it yourself!

Jarrod, Tracy, Kyle, Spencer & Abby said...

OK Adrienne, describe yourself! Who are you and how would a stranger describe you in a waiting room.

Jarrod, Tracy, Kyle, Spencer & Abby said...

I can't stop thinking about this blog. Maybe it even bothered me a little bit. I am not sure yet. I guess being a more mature mother (by that I mean older), I have at one time in these past 13 years of motherhood been most of these women. With my first I was definately the nervous one, I have also been the working one and the homeschooling one. Now, at the end of a 7 month deployment I am probably the burnt out one. As mothers, we evolve and change, just like our children do so I have never just been one of these women. I have at one time or another been all of these women. But let me tell you the most important lesson I have learned about the waiting room. Be very nice to the nurses and the office staff and you never have to wait!!!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Tracy, if I've offended you somehow, I apologize. My blog is an outlet and I enjoy all kinds of writing here--partially biographical, partially fictitious, partially creative, sometimes humorous writing. To answer your first question, I feel as if I've been bits and pieces of all of these women myself at different times in the last four years. I generally write about stuff I relate to personally. I grew up on Erma Bombeck, and this is kind of Bombeck humor. Maybe it hit you the wrong way. I was just exercising my creative writing muscles which I don't get to do as much anymore.
And I wish that my charm worked as well as yours, because I always schmooze the nurses and receptionists and still often have lengthy waits!

Carrie Beth said...

I have enjoyed everyone's contributions to the blog- I agree, I think that we all can see ourselves in most of these characters, and it is better to laugh at ourselves than to cry, right? I am totally homeschool Hannah (David's first day of kindergarten was spent mostly in the doctor's waiting room!) and Compulsive Carrie (I'm afraid I have an official diagnosis!), as well as having been lots of other of the other folks mentioned as well :). I always appreciate feeling like other folks can empathize with me as a mom and the crazy situations we find ourselves in! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Simply said...

That is so true! Love your post!

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.