Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Running to Win

Well, it's hump day. That middle of the week day that sometimes makes you feel as if Friday is lightyears away. I'm not regularly inspired all that greatly by Wednesdays. I enjoy fellowshipping with friends over Wednesday night supper at church and then choir rehearsal, but the rest of the day is not, in and of itself, all that inspiring. You know how you feel some Monday mornings when you realize you have a new, fresh week ahead of you. OK, I know what some of you are saying--um, no. Mondays are just that much farther from Fridays! True. There are some Mondays that feel that way to me, too, but many times I look forward to that starting over feeling you get on Monday morning--jumping back into the weekly routine. Well, for whatever reason, I kind of have that sense this morning. Indulge me as I explain how I got to this feeling. You know me, short story-long. :)
I am often frustrated with myself by the untidiness of my house--you know, the unsanitary state of my bathrooms (and oddly this morning, both happen to be clean), the crumbiness of my kitchen/dining room floor, the piles of laundry waiting to be attacked, the burner eyes on the stove that have needed to be cleaned for several weeks ever since that pot boiled over, and the ongoing growth of clutter that I battle daily on my kitchen counter, the kitchen table, and my dresser. I've mentioned before on my blog that my domestic strengths have always seemed to lie more in the deep-cleaning rather than the day-to-day maintenance. You want your bathroom scoured ceiling to floor, honey? I'm your gal, but it's those days and sometimes weeks in between scouring that leave me frustrated. I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be in the day-to-day pick-up, tidy-up, etc, and so I tend to dread the jobs that begin to grow bigger around me. I've gone through stages when I've tried to create and maintain some sort of schedule, and somehow I seem to abandon the schedule eventually, even though I find a sense of peace and stability through it. So why am I talking about this? Well, I've been trying to get my guts up to restart my MK biz, and as I've talked with the Lord about it, I've confessed to him that I know I've got to do this, but that in some ways I dread it because I know I'm really going to have to live by my day-planner--hour by hour each day, in order to get everything done--house chores, being mommy, being wife, having devos, exercising, and now MK responsibilities. I know there are some of you who adore living by a day-planner. I had never seen anyone so completely committed to her day-planner until I met Kristin. Her freshman year in college, she was the most disciplined person I'd probably ever met. I mean, if that girl had written that she was going to spend two hours studying in the basement cubicles in the library, she did not deviate from the planner--ever! She would likely tell you now that it was her obsession to distract herself from her terrible homesickness, but regardless, it was impressive. So this morning, I was thinking about Kristin and her dog-earred day-planner, filled, hour-to-hour in her less-than-lovely handwriting (you know I love it, Kace), and I suddenly felt like this was my Monday-morning-starting-fresh-day. Time to step into that yoke with the Lord, submit to the day-planner, and run this race as if to win! Did I write this appointment with my blog in the day-planner, you ask? No, not yet. Give me a running start, OK? :)

1 comment:

Kristin Pattison said...

Oh girl,
bless you..I am proud of you. You know I am glad my day planner ways inspired you. Your faithful prayer life inspires me! I am glad we can help eachother along..remember your prayer journal you failfully kept, well..I have tried to replicated that..I wish I was more dillignet with it. I love you and look forward to a phone call soon :) Just add me to the list :)