Monday, March 3, 2008

Cirque du Soleil and PTP

I've recently entered that period of nursing a baby when I find myself being used more like a prop in an act. Anybody who has nursed longer than about 8 months or so really probably knows what I'm talking about. Gone are the days when we just sit peacefully while he nourishes himself and now are the days when I generally feel like Benjamin is, unbeknownst to me, auditioning for a role in Cirque du Soleil, and I have become a convenient prop for all of his stunts. I mean seriously gals. You know what I'm talking about. These moves he makes while nursing also make me think of that game called "Pass the Pigs". I know my family knows all about Pass the Pigs--we've had some hysterical sessions of PTP. The game consists of a cup, two tiny plastic pigs, and score cards. You pop these tiny, plastic pigs into the cup, and then roll them like dice onto the table. The way in which they land determines what kind of points you might get. You can imagine what sorts of positions these pigs are in if the following labels are given to them after they're rolled onto the table--Razorback, Trotter, Leaning Joweler, Snouter, Pig Out, and Oinker. Benjamin seems to enjoy attempting the leaning joweler, but at an even more advanced level, because he does a leaning joweler, and then sticks one leg way up in the air and kind of pumps it up and down--as if he were a well pump, bringin' up momma's milk. So if you hear that we've moved to the Vegas strip, just know Benjamin has finally hit the big time and is livin' his dream in Cirque du Soleil--hopefully without me as his prop! :)

4 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

I can so empathize with this! I loved the Pass the Pigs comparison- how appropo! Usually this happens about the same time that babies start practicing their Houdini escape act while you are trying to change their diaper :). They grow up so quickly, don't they?

KL said...

I must admit Sasha is still nursing ich lebe ditch indeed..it can get quite dicey at times!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Ceebs--oh the diaper changes! Agggghhhh. Then you begin getting desperate and handing them something dangerous that will keep their attention whilst you madly finish diapering them. OK, you probably don't do that, but I have been guilty of handing Benjamin a medicine bottle that he's fascinated with. I know that sounds awful, but I know he can't get into it, and he'll be still for the last couple of seconds while I quickly finish. Then there's always the screaming when I have to take it away from him at the end. I don't know if it's worth it to even give it to him!
K-striss, good for you for nursing as long as you need and want. I think that both Mommy and baby have a hard time coming to terms with the end of that special time.

Carrie Beth said...

Adrienne: Girl, you know I have called poison control after having given one of my babies a large tube of diaper rash cream to hold while changing their diaper and then finding that in the 2 seconds I was only looking at the diaper area they had opened it and squirted it into their mouths...just FYI, they said diaper rash cream is one of the things they get called about the most- thankfully for both of mine there was no permanent damage done.
Kristin: I echo Adrienne's sentiments- Good for you, girl!! I just weaned Jonathan at 22 mos, and it was more difficult for me than it was for him, I think. It is such a sweet experience and special part of being a Mom. I think it is great that you are nursing your older "baby." :)