Monday, March 31, 2008

Loving Behaviors





Yesterday I was treated to a loving behavior by my sweet daughter, Olivia. She asked me to paint her fingernails and toenails, and I said, "Who's gonna paint mine? I'd love for someone to paint mine." She determined at that moment that she was going to give me my wish--for better or worse! :) So after I painted hers, I experienced a very loving time. Now it did test my patience a time or so when she nearly knocked the polish bottle over and when somehow I seemed to wind up with more polish on my skin than my nail of my big toe, but I had to just chill and allow her to love me this way. She was very proud of the finished product and insisted we take pictures. Although it isn't perfect, it's tough for a 3 (almost 4) year old to paint nails! Sometimes it's hard for me to do a good job myself! This morning I decided I wanted to love her in return, so I made her favorite breakfast of scrambled eggs with ketchup and "sparkly toast"--cinnamon/sugar toast, and I brought it to her in bed. She was thrilled, and I told her how much it meant to me that she had worked so hard to do a loving thing for me, and I wanted to do one in return. In between gobbles of breakfast, she said, "You've never brought breakfast in bed to me before!" I said, "I know isn't it special?" And I continued by saying, "I bet kings and queens and princesses can eat breakfast in bed everyday if they want to!" She put down the sparkly toast and said with utter astonishment, "You have got to be kidding me!" I just threw my head back and laughed and laughed. What a character!

2 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

I loved the way you responded to Olivia by making her breakfast in bed- what a wonderful example to her! The "sparkly toast" is precious, and I laughed too to read her "kidding me" response- what fun. I am inspired!! Thanks for sharing :).

Kristin Pattison said...

What a neat thing to do for your kids..thank you for the great ideas. You are a wonderful mother