Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rant

So your kid is sick, you call the doctor, and you talk to a receptionist, right? I begin by saying, "Hi I'm Adrienne Rogowski, and I'd like to see about bringing in my 11 month old son, Benjamin Rogowski in to see the doctor today."
"OK. What's the child's name?"
"Benjamin Rogowski." (didn't I just tell her his name?)
"Spell the last name."
"R-O-G-O-W-S-K-I"
"R-O-G???"
"O-W-S-K-I."
"What's your name?" (didn't I just tell her my name, too??)
"Adrienne Rogowski."
"Spell the last name for me." (are you kidding me?)
"R-O-G-O-W-S-K-I"
"R-O-G what?" (seriously??)
"O-W-S-K-I."
"Do you have insurance?"
"Yes."
"Make sure and bring your card."
"Is this a new policy, because nothing has changed with our insurance."
"Yes, the doctor now asks to see your insurance card every time you come to the office."
"I was just in the office a week ago, and I didn't have to show it then, is this that new of a policy?" (sorry to sound untrusting, but this gal hasn't exactly impressed me at this point.)
"Yes.  Just bring it with you every time you come. What kind of insurance do you have?"
"United Healthcare."
"What are your child's symptoms."
(I pause here, because I am trying to decide whether I want to waste the time describing his symptoms to this receptionist or not.  She doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.)
"Do you wanna just tell the nurse?"
"I suppose."
"She'll call you back.  Thank you, bye, bye."

Oh my.  So I made it through the phone conversation with the slightly less than stellar receptionist, and now I have to wait probably about 2 hours to hear back from the nurse, and what is with the call back from the nurse?  I didn't really feel it was necessary to speak with a nurse.  I just wanted to make an appointment, but now I have to speak with a nurse and attempt to explain the symptoms in such a way that she'll see his case as enough of a priority to schedule him in sometime today.  This is where if I were a person with no morals, it would be tempting to always mention something like this, "Well, he sounds like he's wheezing a little bit."  I have found that no matter what else I ever say to the nurse, if I happen to mention the slightest breathing problems, she says, "Can you come in right now?  We'll see you as soon as you get here."  But no wheezing problems today, fortunately, so I'll flounder around trying to describe the enygmatic symptoms he is displaying in the hopes that she might have mercy and fit us in today so that I don't have to face night three of "Momma-ain't-gettin'-no-sleep-tonight".  Sorry if this sounds like a wah-wah-wah post to most of you. It is just a tired Momma dealing with a mildly frustrating situation.  Maybe some of you have had similar situations.  I have to just add that I also find it frustrating when I go to the doctor's office with either kid, I finally get into the examining room, and a nurse comes in.  Often at our doctor's office, it is a young gal who looks like she's 19.  She has on a lab coat with a patch on her sleeve that says something about so-and-so-Technical College, and her acrylic nails have Florida Gator's parafinalia painted on them in a spirited fashion.  She works hard to try to squeek a smile out of my kid, to no avail, and then she asks about the child's symptoms.  Do you all ever have a feeling of frustration when this whole part begins?  Do you ever, like me, wish you could say, "Do I really need to tell you my child's symptoms, because when the doctor comes in, she doesn't look at what you've written down, and she just asks me the same questions all over again?  Couldn't we all just save ourselves a little time and move on to the next step?"  OK, I need to stop.  Probably, if I give myself a couple of years, and I look back on this entry, I'd say, "Simma down, now. No need to get ya panties in a wad over this."  True, but sometimes, it just feels good to rant a little bit.  I will end on a positive note by saying thank you Lord for people that can care for my kids when they're sick (even if they're a little less than perfectly efficient and professional), and thank you Lord for health insurance.  

7 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

Oh girl, I know it is soo hard when you are so tired after being up with a baby night after night! I hope that Benjamin is doing better. I have not had this experience too often with the pediatricians I have used, but I have definitely had it with the OB-GYN. It is always frustrating to me that I am forced to tell the receptionist my very personal business! I guess they are trying to be efficient so that the nurse can be as prepared as possible when she returns my call, but it is just humiliating to have to say it twice!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Ceebs,
I, too, have had those same sorts of experiences over the phone with my OB's receptionist. One time I just started spilling my symptoms to the gal (since I'd become aware that this was the protocol), and then she said, "I'm just the receptionist, would you like to talk to a nurse?" ?????? Of course, but I thought I had to tell you, too! Oh me.
Thanks for your sweet empathy, and thanks for understanding my less than stable mental state. :) He's on an antibiotic now--he had white puss pockets in his throat, bless his heart, so we're hoping to get a better night sleep tonight. We'll see.

Nonny said...

Adrienne, I remember having very similar experiences and ranting and raving about it. I remember once taking Carrie Beth in to a Doctor's office in Indianapolis and three different people cycled through the room before the doctor came and I had to tell the symptoms over and over each time. C.B. was a very active almost two year old and one of the people stuck a thermometer UNDER HER ARM with her sitting on the table and then the nurse sauntered out of the room...GET REAL! Do you really think there is a chance that a toddler is going to sit quietly with a thermometer stuck under their arm?!?!?

Andy Miller III said...

This is why we need to vote for Clinton or Obama.

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Mom, thanks for the sympathetic spirit. Dr.'s offices are a breeding ground for mild frustrations that can grow from a mole hill to a mountain in a matter of seconds when I'm overly fatigued.
Andy, sarcasm, right?? :)

Cherie from the Queen of Free said...

It's all about positioning sister . . . Right up front you gotta give them my son NEEDS to see the doctor today. :) Perhaps you heard a wheeze or that temperature gauge needs a little touch to the lamp to get the digits to shoot up (can you even do that with an ear scan or temporal thermometer?). In almost 6 years of peds experience, I have also found that if you combine the words my child, head injury, and vomit at the ER, it gets you to the front of the line. Amazing . . .

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Cherie,
I love your response! Hysterical about the magic words for the ER! I'll have to remember that combination! :) I didn't know you have a blog! I spent a while enjoying reading lots of your entries--you're a great writer! I'll have to add your blog to my favorites and keep updated on the Lowe family happenings.