Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A personal pet peeve

Does it frustrate anyone else when a movie is labeled as "comedy" when its real label should read "comedy-drama". Stan and I recently rented No Reservations, and while I enjoyed it overall, I was not expecting to be brought to tears two different times in this supposed "comedy". Sometimes I feel like someone is trying to pull one over on the viewer when they do this sort of thing. They know more folks are likely to pick up a "comedy" than a "comedy drama". When I see the comedy label, I'm not expecting to have to see a child lose her mother in a car accident. OK, so I know you all are saying, "Adrienne, try reading the back of the movie box." Stan rented this one off of iTunes, and I didn't take the time to read much about it--so now I know better than to trust a label such as "comedy" if I'm just wanting a movie devoid of stressful moments like seeing a child wake up in the middle of the night to watch home movies of her mother after she died.

4 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

f the description includes the word "heart touching", the most days of the year I am not emotionally ready to handle what it has to offer during my short window of "entertainment" time!!

Carrie Beth said...

Sorry, Agey- the post was supposed to start with "If", not "f"! I better slow down here, huh? :)

Jarrod, Tracy, Kyle, Spencer & Abby said...

That was a tough one. There was very little comedy. I ordered it one night when I was feeling lonely and needed a pick me up, needless to say it did not work.
We recently watched Martain Child when Kyle was home recently. Not a comedy but definately a GREAT family movie. I don't think there were any bad words. It was very heart wrenching though, so be warned, you will cry!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

I'm afraid I'm with you Ceebs. When we have a small window for entertainment, sometimes you just want a good laugh.
Tracy, is that really Martain Child or is it Martian Child? I've never heard of either titles. :) I'll have to get my guts up sometime and check it out. Probably wait until the summer on that one when Stan and I have more time for a broader selection of movies. :)