Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Dream Realized



Some of you may know that Stan's freshman year of college was at Valdosta State University. It wasn't until his sophomore year that he began at Asbury College, but during that freshman year, Stan met an amazing trombone player and a great friend, Steve Pruitt. Steve became a musical mentor of sorts to Stan and as they got to know eachother, Steve began introducing Stan to some really interesting musicians. I think that it would be fair to say that Steve opened up some new musical doors for Stan by introducing him to these new and varied artists. Now, I have to say that some of these artists are more than just "out there" some have jumped off the limb and are diving into insanity--such as a group called "News for Lulu". I could do without hearing them again. However, there was one trombone player that Steve got Stan hooked on named Ray Anderson, and I must say that I had never heard anything like him before and that I also came to really love this guy's music. 15 years later, Stan has continued following this guy's musical progression as have I. He has always talked about wishing he could see him perform live and went so far as to find out his tour schedule only to be disappointed. Ray seems to only tour in Europe and play in New York. Since we've never had lots of dough sittin' around to fly to Stockholm or NYC to see him play, it has seemed to be an elusive dream. Until Monday. A few weeks before Stan's birthday, which is March 8th, I was doing some searching on-line to see if any of his favorite bands/artists were playing anywhere closeby, hoping I could surprise him with some tickets for his birthday. I had no success, and although I generally had given up checking Ray's website, for some reason I did. I found out that he was playing on March 30th at USF in Tampa, FL! Wow! I was so excited, but then I realized it would not work out, because Stan would be arriving home at midnight on the 29th after a long, hard weekend trip to Disney World/Epcot/Universal with his 8th grade middleschool band. I thought, "There's no way that will work out with him being so exhausted, him having to take more days off...etc." So a day or so passes after I discover this information, and I said to him, "Have you looked at Ray's site lately?" He said, "Yeah! I'm thinking about going down there on the 30th!" I said, "Really? Even after just getting back so late the night before?" He says, "I'm thinking this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't think I can miss it." We didn't talk much about it again, but I sensed he wasn't giving this one up, and sure enough, he got back a little after midnight Sunday night, and when he got up to to go work on Monday morning, he said, "I'll be home at lunch. I've taken half a day today and a whole day off tomorrow. Let's go to Tampa!" So after some quick work on Hotwire and ticketmaster to secure a hotel and tickets, we were on our way by 1pm. We got there around 4:45 and had time for dinner at the hotel before we headed to the university for the concert. We got there at 7:15 even though it didn't begin until 8, and we were the first ones in the door at 7:30. As soon as we walked in, Olivia started giggling because she could hear Ray and the USF jazz band warming up in the back and they sounded wild, burping, screeching animals back there. We sat down and before we were in our seats a minute, Stan said, "I'm going back stage. I've got to talk to this guy." I said, "What are you doing? What do you mean? You can't just walk back there can you?" Stan said, "I've waited too long not to give it a try at least." I have to say when I saw my husband walk up on stage and waltz through those backstage curtains without one single worry of who might say what to him, I was pretty proud of him! That took some guts. I said a quick prayer for him as he made his way back there. And about ten minutes later, he popped his head out from behind one of the curtains and signaled for me to come with the kids and to bring the camera! So we all raced up there and had a wonderful sweet moment of introduction with this guy whom Stan and I both have come to admire musically. I told him how I had used his music in my English classroom as a journal starter. I remember specifically using "Damaged but Good" and "Don't Mow Your Lawn", both of which provide lots of room for good discussion within the classroom." He was so happy to hear that, and when I asked if I could take the picture, as you'll see in the pictures below, he hugged Stan like he was his brother. It was truly such a great moment. We don't in anyway want to seem as if we idolize this fellow, but there is such joy that comes from finally meeting someone who has challenged and inspired my husband in the world of music. He is truly one of a kind. A world-class musician, and he was so approachable and friendly. He spoke with Olivia and Benjamin and said, "Boy you guys are gonna have a late night tonight! Are you up for it?" Olivia smiled and nodded her head and Benjamin just stared with fascination at his trombone gleaming in the dim lights back stage. After we got back to our seats, I asked Stan how it had been talking with him, and he said, "Just great." He told him he'd driven a long way and waited a long time to see him perform and he didn't want to miss having the opportunity of meeting him and shaking his hand and telling him how much his music had impacted him. They chatted a while and then Ray said that Stan could meet them afterwards at a restaurant if he was interested. Wow! Stan said, "Well, I told him, of course, I couldn't do that since I was here with my family." And I said, "What??? Of course you'll meet him at the restaurant! Just dump us at the hotel and go!" He said, "Really?" I said, "Absolutely!!" He said, "I'll have to try to find out afterwards where they're meeting." Then the concert began and we had that awesome sort of experience where you feel like you're sitting with an old friend, even though you've never physically met this guy before. As soon as he opened his mouth, and as soon as he put his lips to his trombone, I wanted to say, "Yeah! I know you! You've been performing in my home for the last decade or so and oh my word, now I'm sitting less than 10 feet from you as you perform live." It was mindboggling and it was obvious that my husband was completely gah-gah. He was hanging on every note and loving it all. Olivia was blown away by it. I had tried to warn her it was going to be loud, but when they started the first number, she immediately clamped her hands over her ears, and at one point when he really got into some of his more crazy "ray-like" stuff, she leans over and whispered a little too loudly, "This isn't music!" :) Oh, but it is, and it is amazing! I had to go out with Benjamin during one song, but he and Olivia both were remarkably well-behaved. I put a jacket on the ground and he eventually fell asleep down there during the next to last number. I left feeling so energized and uplifted simply by his exuberance for his craft. Watching him play with such utter abandon. You know the old phrase, "Dance as if no one is dancing..." Ray Anderson perfectly exemplifies this concept. There is a beauty in his wild ways and when he plays it often sounds like he is talking through his horn to the audience. Afterwards, Stan waited in line to get his autograph, just in case he weren't able to see him at the restaurant, and then he drove us to the hotel and left us while he zoomed over to this meeting place. He only stayed briefly because there was a large group of people who knew one another and who did not know him, but he stayed long enough to thank Ray and talk again briefly with him about what his music has meant to him. He also talked with Tom Brantley, the jazz director at USF, and he thanked him for arranging to have Ray Anderson come. What a night! And if you've ever been with someone who has had their dream realized, it is a magical experience. There's hardly anyway to explain it. I praise the Lord for this wonderful opportunity and that my husband was silly enough and impractical enough to say, "Why not??? Let's do it!" Maybe this will encourage you to consider not giving up on dreams planted in your heart. We just never know when and how they might be fulfilled! What a blessing! What a joy!

6 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

WOW! What a blessing- I am so glad you guys were gutsy enough to do this. Stan will be a better teacher for it, I know, and what a neat experience for Olivia too! TOO COOL!!! Thanks for sharing-- wish we could have been there :).

Brenda said...

The Lord is so GOOD isn't He!?! I am so glad you were so incredibly flexible, generous, loving and encouraging for your sweet husband and that you were there with the children to experience this!

"The Queen of Free" said...

What a terrific post. Every once in awhile God leans in closely and whispers, "You know what? You're special to me." :) Sometimes it's not nearly as audible as this. Awesome to have a dream realized and live in the moment. How fantastic.

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Ceebs, I wish you could've been with us, too! It was incredible! Mom, I learned from the best! Cherie, Iove how you put it--this was God leaning in and saying, "You know what? You're special to me." That's how it felt. Thanks for sharing in the joy of this experience. Bless y'all!

Abby said...

I think the Lord can really use spontaniety in a cool way! Sometimes we just need to take off and do something different! I am so glad this was such an awesome experience for you all and Stan.

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Abby, I agree! There is truth in that! I think sometimes when we just step out in faith, trusting the Lord with the details, he rewards us graciously. We felt his goodness through that whole experience. I love you, girl!