Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lunch with Olivia

Today I ate lunch with Olivia at school, and I learned a few things:
  • Stetson plans on marrying Isabeau.
  • The lunchroom gets very loud, but don't worry because there is a large black woman who gets on the microphone and says with her neck rollin' around, "5! 4! 3! 2! 1! Excuuuuuuse me? I know you children are not makin' this kind of noise in here! I cannot believe what I just saw! I saw two students rollin' around on the floor. Is that acceptable, students? (students yell "No!") I also cannot believe I saw someone yelling to another student two tables over! Can you whisper to someone two tables away, students? (students yell "No!) Take some pride in your behavior, students. (Those of you who know me well are picturing me re-enacting this moment)
  • Jamie Oliver was right. Parents are not packing their kids' lunches with much care. I really do not say this to be condescending, because I've sent some unhealthy things in the past myself. I'm trying to improve. I was shocked, though, that Olivia was the only kid with fruit and veggie in her sack lunch. Kid sitting across from me had a balogna sandwich on white bread, large bag of Doritos, a packet of fruit chews, a package of cheetos things (they're like little tiny balls), 2 juice boxes, and a little Debbie cake. 3 other kids were eating the lunchables which I have been guilty of falling to child pressure and purchasing a couple times for Olivia (she begs me to get those crazy things!) Parents, we've got to do better!
  • Kindergarten teachers must really love summer time when they can eat a lunch without having to open 20 milk cartons or capri suns or ketchup, mayo and mustard packets. God bless them.
  • Ice packs in certain shapes (i.e.a football like Olivia's) are intriguing to everyone at the lunchtable. Moms, wash those ice packs every single night. Lots of licked fingers are touching those ice packs.
  • There's always a little boy at the table who wants to show you his chewed-up food in his mouth. I gave him the squinting eyes and shaking head for that gross moment.
  • There's some exchanging and sharing between the sack lunchers. I really hope that Olivia does turn down the large bag of cheetos balls offered to her by a sweet little boy even when I am not there.
  • Parents who come to eat with their kids are like rockstars. I know, I know. I'll enjoy my star status while I can. These sweet days are fleeting. The kids kept gawking at me and giggling. Funny.
  • Kindergartners are just a cute mess. I love the little girl whose ponytail fell out and she obviously attempted to put it back in herself. She only got about 10% of her hair back up in the ponytail holder. The rest hung by the sides of her cute little face.
  • Someone's going to spill their milk. Every single day. Someone will do it. Just wait for it.
  • I loved seeing Olivia at school, and she loved seeing me there and telling me what I was supposed to be doing.
  • Olivia will be a crier--you know one of those people who cries easily at many things. Her mother and father are both criers. She cried when it was time for me to go. Bless her little heart. She was embarrassed, so she buried her head in my shoulder as we sat on the little circular seats and we hugged goodbye. To make her laugh, I pulled my visitor tag off of my shirt and stuck it to my forehead. Soon she was giggling and wiping her tears. She lined up with her classmates and I headed home.

Thank you, Lord for these sweet moments. All good things are from You, and I praise Your Holy Name for school lunch dates with my Olivia.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I love this post! In a strange way, it makes me feel better about Kindergarten! Mary Grace visited SMES on Monday with her Happy Apple class. Lunch was pizza, rice, corn, strawberry milk, and "dirt" cake. What?! And we wonder why we have an obesity epidemic in our country!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Thanks, Tara! Mary Grace will love kindergarten. I'm sure! Yeah, might wanna join the brown bag crew. Concerning isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Adrienne~

I am sitting at my kitchen table, crying my eyes out! Thank you for this sweet post. I love eating lunch with Madison and realize it has been far too long since I have made myself go up there. It is tough to go when I have two other little ones that I must take with me. But, it is always worth it when I see her eyes light up, she takes me by the hand and then we all walk to the cafetreia together. These moments are going by far too quickly than I like and I know I must enjoy them while I can. Thanks for reminding me to savor the precious moments with my gifts from God!

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Ansley, I love your tender heart, girl! I know it must be extremely hard to juggle the two little fellas while in an elementary school cafeteria. Our schools won't allow you to bring any other younger children with you, so I've not done it as often as I'd like to have done it. Hope y'all are having a good end of the school year. Band banquets, band concerts, awards days, etc...Fun times!

"The Queen of Free" said...

Good to know Cafeterias in GA are just about the same as the ones in IN. Brian has lunch almost every Friday with Anna. He has all of the good 2nd grade dirt. I can't ever get over what is packed in lunches. I am SO boring natural PBJ with Fruit Spread (no sugar added), carrots, and some sort of fruit. I am always amazed by the number of kids who want Anna's grapes. It's not like they don't like healthy food, they're just not given it. Sigh.

kristin said...

ace, i wish I could hear your impression in person! Loved the post oyu are a great momma!