Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reward Time


Well folks, we've reached a major milestone in this house. Nobody is doing their B.M. in a diaper anymore!! We have been praying and praying for this day to come, and hallelujah, it has come! There is no rhyme or reason about why he finally gave up and surrendered to it. Truly a mystery. I said on a Tuesday a couple weeks ago, "Mommy's tired of changing your stinky diapers. You're too big to do this anymore. Why don't we try sitting on the potty tomorrow?" (I've said these same exact words millions of times before with no positive results.) The next night when Stan was at choir practice, Benjamin said, "I need to do my B.M." I said, "Remember? We're going to try sitting on the potty today." He cried pitifully for about 3 minutes and then suddenly he stopped and said, "OK, let's go." We went into the bathroom, and I put him up on the porcelin throne, and he said, "I need some pwivacy. Cyose da door, pwease." I obeyed his request thinking, "Yeah, this isn't happening." A few minutes later, he said, "I'm done." I go in and see the amazing result, and I screamed so loud that I terrified him. Olivia came running in and she and I cheered and cheered for him, and he sat there on the potty with his chin in his hands, elbows resting on his knees, and eyes rolling with embarassment. When we finished, he said, "Mommy, do not cheer for me tomorrow when I do my B.M." :) Yes sir! Whatever you say, sir! We had promised him a guitar that I had found at a consignment shop for cheap, so he was elated to get that, but Daddy had also (in a moment of desperation) promised him this set of "Armor of God" that he'd seen at a Christian book store, so that was the first thing we did the next morning--went to Jacksonville and got the armor! As you can see, this is one happy knight for Christ! Praise the Lord and help me, Lord, to trust you with these crazy aspects of parenting that are out of my control.

2 comments:

Josh Burnham said...

I suppose one could say that more people need to trade in the crap in their life for the armor of God.

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Love it, Josh!! :) How true! :) Ha!