Monday, January 28, 2008

Funny Moments with Olivia


Today Olivia was talking to me on our way home from her dance lesson, and she said, " I wish you could be three like me, Mom." I said, "Why is that?" She said, "So we could do things together like take dance." I told her that I thought that was a very sweet thing to say. I know she might not always have that desire, but I'll relish it while she does.

Olivia has always been very particular about how things fit her--shoes, pants, collars on shirts. Everything is rarely tight enough for her liking. She likes her shoes so tight that when you first get them fastened, she walks like a penguin until they loosen up a little. So it was no surprise to me when recently I tried to get her to try on a new pair of blue jeans, and she said, "Mom can I take these off?" I said, "Why, Olivia?" Then she attempted to explain how the pants were feeling to her, and I love it when she does this thing where she kind of makes up words. She said, "Well, these pants are kind of slinkin' and sluggin' on me, Mom, and I just don't think they're gonna work." So how could I argue with such a description?

Another funny thing--we recently attended a kid's birthday party where Olivia got one of those temporary tattoos on the back of her hand, and she's been trying to preserve it for as long as she possibly can, and so every time we wash hands, she says with great anxiety in her voice, "Not the tootoo, Mom, not the tootoo!" The "tootoo" finally rubbed completely off yesterday. :)

3 comments:

Andy Miller III said...

Well I have had a "slinkin' and slugin'" day that isn't really working. I can understand Oliva's sentiments.

Well...Andy is doing his best to type right now.
Thanks for the story.

Andy

Anonymous said...

I think that "slinkin' and slugin" should go down as one of our family sayings like "you ship shiner you!" I love it! Love, MOM

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Bless you, Andy! I had one of those days on Sunday. Hope your day tomorrow is better.
Mom, I agree! Oh, I love being reminded of "You ship shiner, you!"