Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Another Great Book

OK, I'm almost done with another really great book that I highly recommend to all moms out there.  It's called Taking Care of the Mommy in Me by Lisa Whelchel.  This has been such a neat book to read, and it is a marvelous resource with a wealth of ideas to draw from.  The book is all about the importance of taking good care of ourselves so that we can be better mothers, wives, friends, etc.  I have to admit that when I first read the title and the little synopsis, I was pretty skeptical.  I think that as a mother it is easy to begin to believe that there is something sinful about taking care of ourselves; we get so entrenched with taking care of our kids, our household, our family, our friends.... that we begin to think that it's just "normal" to neglect ourselves.  Anyway, she has chapter after chapter of topics in this area of how to take care of ourselves--taking care of ourselves through praising God, through recognizing the Sabbath, through exercise, through personal beauty regimens, through friendships, through our marriage, through fun and games, through cooking and cleaning, through organizing....etc, etc, etc.  The thing that I love most about this book is how she has a chapter full of practical ideas that you can choose from to apply in your own life following every topic.  Lisa's voice is so down-to-earth and genuine.  I appreciate how honest and real she seems in her writing.  She talks to the reader as if you were her friend, and by the end of the book, I think you almost believe you are a friend.  I really would love for any and all of you Moms out there to consider reading it.  Mom, I bought mine at that book outlet store near Valdosta, and I think I got it for just like 3 or 4 dollars!  I wish I had known how good it was at the time, I would've forced Abby and Carrie Beth to buy it, too, since we were all three there together.  Check it out, and see what you think.  You can also go to www.lisawhelchel.com to read more about her and what she's up to these days in her Post-Facts of Life, life! :)

No comments: