Thursday, February 18, 2010

Do The Next Thing

Today as I was mopping in the kitchen, I was listening to one of Donna Otto's podcasts. She's the founder of an organization called Homemakers By Choice, and I have personally benefitted greatly from being able to listen to these podcasts. I've found many of them to be encouraging and convicting, insightful and hysterical at times. Her ministry is based in a church out in Scottsdale, AZ, and I'm always wishing I could attend one of their retreats and meet up with my bestie from the westie, Kristin Pattison. Anyway, as I was finishing mopping, she was finishing her message, and she read this poem. I am amazed at the way the Lord so often allows us to hear certain messages at certain times--just as we're needing them or just as we're ready for them. Since I've stepped away from my Mary Kay business, I am wondering what he has as my "next thing", but this poem comforts me. I feel certain He will guide me and keep me as I look up to Him to guide me into that "next thing". I feel ready to step into whatever that may be. I think that this poem felt particularly sentimental to me because my grandfather, Poppy (Billy Key), uses poetry often in his preaching. There are some of his more famously used ones that many of us can quote large portions of. Poetry has a way of ministering to our hearts and minds through it's succinct, vivid artistry. I'm grateful for poetry, and I pray this one might encourage you today as it did me. Bless you all!

A poem quoted by Elisabeth Elliot in her book The Shaping of a Christian Family
Do The Next Thing

"At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
there came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
like a low inspiration, 'Do the next thing.'

Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing."

As I was searching for this poem on-line. I found another person's blog post with his own reflections on it. I found it intriguing and thought I would repost it here:

Here is a poem which contains much wisdom for Christian living in general and is very helpful for pastoral ministry as well. I found it in Elisabeth Elliot’s The Shaping of a Christian Family (pg.178-179). Elisabeth Elliot’s writings have meant a lot to me along the way, and I have often heard her discuss her “do the next thing” philosophy. I did not realize until recently that her language came from this poem which her mother had. There is much simple wisdom here. Do you find yourself on Monday feeling your soul is scorched, terribly aware of your inadequacies, fearful of what is to come? Since God is still in heaven and His steadfast Word declares His love for you, just carry on and do the next thing. Take the next step of obedience. Do you worry how your children will turn out, what the future will hold for your church, how the finances will look at the end of the month? Resist the allure of self pity, and just take the next step of obedience. We are typically given enough grace just for the next step. Fret not about what lies around the bend. Perform faithfully the next step, and we will make it home safely in the end.

No comments: