Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fun Weekend--and it's only Saturday night!

I have just returned from a fun quick trip to Valdosta. Olivia and Benjamin and I followed Stan and some of his middle school band kids over there as they attended the district band clinic. We were needing some sort of little adventure as a family, and this was the perfect remedy for that need. Some of the highlights include:
  • seeing the kids act like we were taking them to Disney World when we drove up to the hotel
  • watching them play office in the hotel room--they discovered that they could hear one another on the two phones in the room and somehow this was almost blow-your-mind-exciting! :) (btw-Benjamin played the part of the male boss, and Olivia played the part of the female secretary--how do they slip into these stereotypical roles at 2 and 5?)
  • being back in Valdosta--this was both a high and a low since Mom and Dad don't live there anymore, but we enjoyed talking about all of our wonderfully sweet memories from their years there
  • going to two awesome parks and watching the kids laugh and run and play until they were utterly exhausted
  • eating in the school cafeteria together as a family (OK, truth be told, this was also a highlight and a lowlight :)
  • shopping in TJMax this morning and finding a couple of things on super-duper clearance! (Can I just say, I love that store?? Seriously folks, deal potentials out the wazoo!)
  • getting to hear the VHS jazz band perform last night--this was a wonderful little surprise performance! They are quite a swinging group, and I adore live jazz, so I soaked it in like a thirsty sponge. They even had a couple of vocalists to perform with them on a few numbers. My fave of the night: Etta James' "At Last". In my dreams I would sing like Etta James or like Natalie Cole or Diana Krall...That's another story. They ended by playing an arrangement of MJ's "Thriller". Must say that I thought I wouldn't like it, but it was great! Just needed some dancers on that one--also would've like to have done that! :o)
  • getting to visit with my dear friend, Ansley Hickox and see her precious family!! This was also a totally unexpected blessing, and we had such a sweet quick visit! Ansley, I miss you! So glad we got to catch up a bit. Your family is beautiful, and you are too! You're doing a wonderful job as wife and mother. I've always admired your walk with your Savior and how apparent your love for Him is. Bless you, sweet gal! I am concerned about your eye sight, however, as you said you think my skin looks so good and it hasn't changed since we left Baxley!! Girl, you somehow missed all my crowsfeet and many other skin issues, but thanks for the kind words anyway! :) I love that you had sweet potato spit-up on your jacket--this is REAL life as a mom, isn't it??
  • seeing my kids playing with their wonderful Daddy on the school campus during some of the rehearsal sessions. Mommas, you know what I mean. There is just something that warms the cockles of your heart (that was for you, Dad) when you see your husband delighting in your children. It is a warm fuzzy that trumps most all other warm fuzzies. A few weeks ago they all went grocery shopping with me on a Sunday night. As we were leaving Publix, Stan walked in front of me as I pushed the cart, and he held their hands as we walked to the van. They started skipping and giggling--all three of them, and I thought I was going to smile so big that my face was going to turn inside out! Thank you, Lord, for a husband who loves me and our children so dearly, so passionately, so apparently, so joyously!
  • riding home tonight from Valdosta, I heard a song on the radio that I imagine many of you are familiar with. It's an older song by Lonestar, and as I heard the lyrics being sung, I felt like they sort of expressed what my last bullet was saying. Anyway, I'm so grateful for a fun quick getaway. Here are these sweet lyrics. Enjoy!
The only ground I ever owned was sticking to my shoes
Now I look at my front porch and this panoramic view
I can sit and watch the fields fill up
With rays of glowing sun
Or watch the moon lay on the fences
Like that's where it was hung
My blessings are in front of me
It's not about the land
I'll never beat the view
From my front porch looking in

There's a carrot top who can barely walk
With a sippy cup of milk
A little blue eyed blonde with shoes on wrong
'Cause she likes to dress herself
And the most beautiful girl holding both of them
And the view I love the most
Is my front porch looking in, yeah

I've traveled here and everywhere
Following my job
I've seen the paintings from the air
Brushed by the hand of God
The mountains and the canyons reach from sea to shining sea
But I can't wait to get back home
To the one he made for me
It's anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been
Nothing takes my breath away
Like my front porch looking in

There's a carrot top who can barely walk
With a sippy cup of milk
A little blue eyed blonde with shoes on wrong
'Cause she likes to dress herself
And the most beautiful girl holding both of them
Yeah the view I love the most
Is my front porch looking in

I see what beautiful is about
When I'm looking in
Not when I'm looking out

There's a carrot top who can barely walk
With a sippy cup of milk
A little blue eyed blonde with shoes on wrong
'Cause she likes to dress herself
And the most beautiful girl holding both of them
Yeah the view I love the most

Oh, the view I love the most
Is my front porch looking in
Yeah
Oh, there's a carrot top who can barely walk
(From my front porch looking in)
A little blue eyed blonde with shoes on wrong, yeah
And the most beautiful girl
(Beautiful girl
From my front porch looking in)
Holding both of them

3 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

I would have loved to have heard Bman being the "boss" on the phone! Hilarious. So glad you all had a much needed getaway :). Sorry it was not any longer than it was! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Adrienne~

How I enjoyed seeing you again! It's just like I said, we could go ten years without seeing each other and pick up right where we left off! You and Stan are such great parents and I enjoyed seeing you both, as well as your adorable children. Olivia and Benjamin are absolutely precious and are blessed to have you and Stan as their mommy and daddy!

For anyone reading these comments, do not listen to Adrienne concerning my eyesight. I declare that girl has the best skin I have ever seen in all my life. She has not aged one bit since she left Baxley all those years ago. I am quite envious of her flawless features. (:)

Bless you all as you continue to do God's work where He has you planted. Remember that "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it!"

Lots of love,
Ansley

Adrienne Rogowski said...

Carrie Beth,I've got a little video of it on my phone that I'll have to show you sometime. Pretty cute.
Ansley, your sweet, affirming words are so kind! It is fun how we can pick right up where we left off, isn't it? (Only you remember every thing way better than I do!)I will be praying for you and Jonathan and your kids as you wait patiently on the Lord and what he might have for you ahead. May we both be sensitive enough to his Holy Spirit so as not to miss His good and perfect will for us!