Monday, October 10, 2011

Been doin' some writing

     My sweet husband said to me out of the blue recently, "Why don't you work on some song-writing? You're a good writer and I bet you could find some joy in the process."
     I don't know if I can fully express what these few words from my precious husband's lips meant to me.  I felt inspired and uplifted immediately. What a blessing to have a spouse and friend who knows me, my passions, my abilities and interests, and he believes in me. Thank you, Lord, for this gift. May I be just as supportive and encouraging to him in all his interests and pursuits.
     So anyway, I pulled out one of my many partially filled journals and began scribbling. This is the result of some scribbling and a little bit of editing. I feel like it's still got some edges to be softened (maybe a lot), but I have, just as Stan knew so well, truly enjoyed the creative process. I think this song would definitely be in the slightly country genre. As I've been editing it, I've been toying with the melody, but that still feels like a long way off. Just writing the lyrics was fun. To my writing friends/family, I welcome your constructive criticism--things that are working or not working as much, etc. Without further ado,

"Don't Let Me Slip Away"


Thirteen years might sound unlucky
but the Lord knows they don’t believe in luck
He was workin’ two jobs goin’ day and night
She was home with the kids, but somethin’ didn’t feel right
Life’s pace was fast, the days became a blur
He sometimes felt lucky to steal a kiss from her
But one night in the darkness
she cried to him,
Don’t let me slip away,
don’t let our love grow cold and gray
life has pushed our hearts apart
so press my heart against your heart
and say, “Honey, I’ll never let you slip away.”
Sixteen years old, he thought he was a man
just lost and confused, cared nothin’ ‘bout his family’s plans
didn’t care a bit ‘bout what The Lord had to say
figured he’d just try things his own way
thought he knew what was right and best
inside he was just a boy scared to death
though he pushed them all away
they knew what he really wanted to say was,
Don’t let me slip away
don’t let your love for me grow cold and gray
I’ve pushed our lives apart
but press my heart against your heart
and say, “Son, we won’t ever let you slip away.”
She’d been raised in the church all of her life
gave her life to Jesus at the age of five
years and years of walkin’ with her Savior everyday
she never thought she could fall away.
but the world pressed in hard and tragically
She woke beside her husband the day she turned 63
reaching for his hand to greet him with the sun
she found he’d gone to be with Jesus before the day had begun
what will she do?
who’ll hold her in her pain?
then she heard her Savior saying,

I won’t let you slip away!
My love for you never grows cold or gray.
When life’s pain pushes us apart
press your heart against my heart
and I’ll say, “Dear child, I’ll never let you slip away.
I’ll never let you slip away.”

No comments: